Sunday, May 30, 2010

From the chapbook

Children's (or YA) books make my heart happy, so I read them frequently. I read Hope Was Here (Joan Bauer) on the recommendation of at least two family members. I wasn't disappointed. The book reminded me of my favorites by E.L. Konigsburg: spare, direct, flavorful prose; an engaging plot; warm, but honest, reflections on what it means to be members of a family or a community. I stayed up after work last night to finish it, which is saying something, because work was exceptionally busy and I was tired.

This was my favorite quote from the book:
But when you're in food service, you understand that sometimes you're making up for people in your customers' lives who haven't been too nice. A lonely old woman at the counter just lights up when I smile at her; a tired mother with a screaming baby squeezes my hand when I clean up the mess her other child spilled.

You know what I like most about waitressing? When I'm doing it, I'm not thinking that much about myself. I'm thinking about other people. I'm learning again and again what it takes to make a difference in people's lives. (p.144)
(Hint: It doesn't take much to make that difference.)

No comments: